Monday 20 May 2013

Look What I Made! A New Work Bench

While everyone was out and about during the May long weekend I was slaving away in my garage. However I wouldn't have had it any other way. I spent this weekend building a nice big work bench for my self.




The weekend started out with a trip to Lowes to pick up my new table saw. 


I started with a saw, a load of 2x4s and a big empty corner in my garage.
The dogs wanted to help!

 Here we go, base of the first leg.

Working my way up. The 1x4s are the base for the lumber storage area.

Base of the second leg.
Coffee and early Sunday morning construction
Sub structure for the tops of both side started. 
The miter saw is on a lowered shelf to be flush with the table top 

Tops in place. 3/4" MDF is not the most fun material to work with 
but it's sturdy and provides a nice smooth work surface

Built a cubby for storing hand held power tools.
Also added a back splash to the top

Perfect fit!

 Front facing. It's just raw 1/2 ply for now, looking for something to face it with.
Behind it is all open for spare lumber storage, you can see some extra 2x4s poking out.

Built out around the legs for a cleaner look, this is also just the ply 
and will be faced with something once I find a suitable material.

Cubby, faced, trimmed and already in use 

The cords are just temporary, but behind them is the garbage bin and shop vac 

Miter saw, flush with work surface and compressor below

This small 2x4ish hole behind the miter saw has a hose that I can connect to my shop vac. 
Since the miter saw is the lowest part of the space I can just sweep it all into there.

You can see more of the details in this shot.
Rounded edges leading to the miter saw, 
routered edges throughout, 
the hole in the table drops right into the garbage

This side is about40" deep

This side is about 36" deep

So that's it so far. Still stuff to do, but I got it to a good place before the end of the weekend.

Special thanks to Darren and Nate for helping out, and to Lori and Shelley for design input.

To do;
-Find something to cover the plywood
-Drawers are going on the left side 
-Shelving to go up
-Peg board to go up
-Free standing, rolling table for the table saw

No comments:

Post a Comment